Healthy Living Tip of the Week
Age-related macular degeneration (AMD) is the most common cause of blindness among people older than 65. To avoid AMD, eat a healthy diet high in green leafy vegetables and fish, don’t smoke, maintain normal blood pressure, watch your weight and exercise.
Thanks for the tip GHP!
How’s your health these days? Achy, tired, generally unhealthy? Or, are you taking the necessary steps to be in top form? It’s your choice (and mine): prevent the problem or spend hundreds more dollars playing catch up.
Take a walk.
Stay away from stressful situations, or learn how to defuse and relax.
Take steps to see your wellness practitioner.
2009: ‘Year of Prevention’
“Just like Momma always said, ‘An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.'”
Here is a brief article on the benefits of massage from FSMTA’s , Florida State Massage Association’s, new “interweb site”. I believe this article was originally produced by the Florida Board of Massage Therapy. The Fl Board of MT helps regulate professional/ medical licenses issued by the FL Department of Health. FSMTA is celebrating 70 years this year organizing and bettering the profession for the public and its practitioners. In my humble opinion Florida is one of the best places worldwide to give and receive massage therapy.
Massage Therapy is a proven and effective means of relaxation and stress relief. Therapeutic massage is increasingly being recommended by doctors and other health care professionals to complement traditional medicine as research proves its healing effects.
Here are some of the ways massage can help improve a person’s health:
* Increases Blood Circulation and Lymph Flow
* Reduces Heart Rate and Blood Pressure
* Reduces Stress and Tension
* Relieves Chronic and Temporary Pain
* Improves Flexibility
* Increases Levels of Serotonin, Protecting Against Depression
* Increases Endorphins, the Body’s Natural Painkillers
* Strengthens the Immune System
* Premature Infants Gain Weight Faster When Massaged
* Prevents Sports Injuries And Increases Athletic Performance
* Helps Relieve Tension, Sinus And Migraine Headaches
* Alleviates Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, Asthma, Bronchitis, Arthritis and more
A valid Massage Therapy License issued by the Department of Health is required to provide massage therapy in the state of Florida. If you suspect someone is practicing Massage Therapy without a license or at an unlicensed establishment, please report this unsafe and illegal activity by calling (toll free) 1-877-HALT-ULA. You can confirm someone’s license by searching on the Board of Massage Therapy’s License Verification Screen